Federal Skilled Trades

Applicants with work experience in eligible trades may be able to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades (FST) Program. The work experience must have been gained from one of the following trades:
  • Industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • Chefs and cooks
  • Butchers and bakers

Work Experience: Applicants must have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade listed above within the last 5 years. Language: Applicants must meet the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) of 4 in Reading and Writing, and CLB of 5 in Speaking and Listening. Applicants must provide approved language test results.

Education: Although there is no formal requirements for education, having a Canadian secondary or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree or equivalent foreign education (with Educational Credential Assessment) can increase points under the Express Entry system and the likelihood of receiving an invitation to apply for permanent residence. Job Offer or Certificate of Qualification: Applicants must have either a job offer from an employer in Canada or a Certificate of Qualification from a Canadian province in the respective trade. Proof of Funds: Applicant must demonstrate that they have minimum amount of the required settlement funds to support themselves (and their family members if applicable) to settle in Canada, unless they are currently able to legally work in Canada or have a valid job offer in Canada.

In addition, applicants and family members must not be criminally or medically inadmissible in order to immigrate to Canada.
Tell Us About You