Study Permit

Foreign nationals who wish to study in Canada have to obtain a study permit before they arrive in Canada. A study permit is always required if the duration of your program of study is longer than six months (If your study program duration is less than six months, a study permit may not be required; however you may still need a regular visitor visa).

In general, study permit applicants are required to obtain an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution in Canada, possess a valid passport or travel document as well as enough funds to support themselves and/or accompanying family members.

A spouse or common-law partner of a study permit applicant for post-secondary education may be able to apply for a study permit or an open (non-employer specific) work permit.

Depending on the length of the study program, international students in Canada who have completed an eligible education program can apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which will allow the graduates to work and gain valuable experience in Canada. Such Canadian work experience, along with other conditions, may enable the graduates to qualify for permanent residence applications.
Tell Us About You